You can find them in pizzerias and in “friggitorias” (fried food shops) but also in street food cart shops. Fried polenta or, as they are called in Napoli, “‘e scagliuozzi” are a mouth-watering appetizer made with corn flour. To prepare them you need few ingredients and little time. Read how to prepare them in 10 simple steps.
Recipe for 4 people.
1 liter of water
250 gr ( 8.8 Oz.) of instant corn flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1. Boil 1 liter of salted water in a saucepan.
2. Add the cornmeal.
3. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for 5-6 minutes.
4. When it is mixed, pour the polenta into a mold previously lined with parchment paper and let it rest.
5. After half an hour put it in the fridge and let it cool.
6. Once cooled, cut the rectangular slices 1 cm thick.
7. Divide the rectangles so you get triangular shapes.
8. Fry the scagliozzi in boiling oil.
9. Once golden, remove excess oil with absorbent paper.
10. Add a little salt and serve piping hot.